Fundamentals of U.S. Funding and Sponsored Project Administration
The international workshop “Fundamentals of U.S. Funding Opportunities and US Sponsored Project Administration“ took place for the first time in Austria at TU Wien from September 18 – 19, 2017.
The workshop was co-organized by the EU Research Support Unit of TU Wien and the U.S. National Council of University Research Administrators (NCURA).
The goal of this workshop was to increase knowledge and understanding of European researchers as well as international research administrators about the U.S. private and federal grants (e.g. NIH, NSF) that are open to the world. This workshop was specifically geared for international research managers and administrators with a basic or intermediate level of experiences with U.S. grants who want to achieve the next level of excellence.
The workshop presenters Leslie Schmidt (Montana State University, U.S.) and Eva Björndal (Karolinska Institutet, SE) are distinguished experts from the NCURA Global Faculty and the BILAT USA 4.0 EU initiative. Approximately 50 research administrators from 14 countries participated in the global workshop, which ensured an international and interactive learning experience. In addition to Austria, attendees included people form United Kingdom, Italy, Germany, Finland, Hungary, Ireland, Portugal, Sweden and Switzerland.
Initial feedback from this workshop includes:
- “Thank you for the successful NCURA Workshop in Vienna during the last few days!“ Eveniina K. from University of Helsinki, FIN.
- “I hope you and your team are relaxed now after such a successful organization!“ Berna W. from FFG, Austrian Research Promotion Agency, AT.
- “Thanks for serving as such a wonderful host for the Vienna global workshop.” Leslie S. from Montana State University, US.
- “Der Workshop hat mir sehr gut gefallen, Venue an der TU Wien war großartig! Vielen Dank Ihnen und Ihrem Team für alles!“ Ursula H. from Universität Bayreuth, DE.
- “Nochmals ganz herzlichen Dank für die perfekte Organisation des Workshops. Von Venue bis zu Inhalt war einfach alles perfekt. Selten hat sich eine Teilnahme an einem Workshop so gelohnt wie an diesem.“ Seraina R. from University of Zurich, CH.
- “ … the organization was excellent and the room had a marvellous view on Vienna. I found the workshop extremely useful. It was also good to have an US and European instructor, to make the connection between the EU terminology and the US terminology.” Jantienne v.d. M. from TU Delft, NL.
Many thanks to all who have contributed to make the NCURA Global workshop in Vienna such a great success!
Siegfried Huemer I Head of the EU Research Support at TU Wien and NCURA International Region Board Member